Dr.G.R.Damodaran College of Science
(Autonomous, affiliated to the Bharathiar University, recognized by the UGC)Re-accredited at the 'A' Grade Level by the NAAC and ISO 9001:2008 Certified CRISL rated 'A' (TN) for MBA and MIB Programmes III BSc CS (2011-2013) Semester V Core: Computer Networks-507D Multiple Choice Questions. 1. Which of the following networking solution is suitable for networking within a building? A. LAN. B. WAN. C. MAN. D. communication satellites. ANSWER: A 2. LAN stands for ____________. A. Long Area Network B. Local Area Network. C. Local Audible Network. D. Limited Area Network. ANSWER: A 3. The network topology in which devices are not linked to each other and where hub acts as a central controller is ___________________. A. mesh. B. star. C. ring. D. tree. ANSWER: B 4. In simplex transmission ____________. A. data format is simple. B. data transmission is one way. C. data can be transmitted to small distances only. D. data transmission is two way. ANSWER: B 5. Typical bandwidth of optical fibers is ________________. A. order of G Hz. B. order of K Hz. C. order of Hz. D. order M Hz. ANSWER: A 6. In MODEMS _______________.
A. several digital signals are multiplexed. B. a digital signal changes some characteristic of a carrier wave. C. digital signal is amplified. D. analog signal is amplified. ANSWER: B 7. Which of the following topology share a single channel on which all stations can receive and transmit data? A. LAN. B. BUS. C. TREE. D. RING. ANSWER: B 8. Which of the following LAN access method uses the right to transmission by a special bit pattern? A. CSMA/CD. B. RING topology. C. Token passing. D. BUS topology. ANSWER: C 9. In half-duplex data transmission ______________. A. data can be transmitted in one direction only. B. data can be transmitted in both directions. C. data can be transmitted in both directions simultaneously. D. data can be transmitted to small distances only. ANSWER: B 10. A large number of computers in a wide geographical area can be efficiently connected using _____________. A. twisted pair lines. B. coaxial cables. C. communications satellites. D. fiber optics. ANSWER: C 11. A large number of computers in a wide geographical area can be efficiently connected using _____________. A. twisted pair lines. B. coaxial cables. C. communications satellites. D. fiber optics. ANSWER: C 12. Data transfer rate for LAN is normally __________. A. 1 - 100 Mbps. B. 1 - 2 Mbps. C. 1 - 10 Mbps. D. 1 - 20 Mbps. ANSWER: A
13. In which topology data packet is removed by the source destination? A. Ring. B. Bus. C. Star. D. Tree. ANSWER: A 14. Which of the following topology is least affected by removal / addition of workstations? A. RING. B. STAR. C. BUS. D. TREE. ANSWER: A 15. Protocol is used to communicate between ___________. A. similar module. B. dissimilar module. C. both (a) and (b). D. Token passing. ANSWER: A 16. In a ring topology each ____________. A. terminal is connected to two others, via communications channel, forming a closed loop. B. device is connected to a control unit; communication between one device and another must go through the central unit. C. devices connected to a single common communication device. D. both (a) and (c). ANSWER: D 17. Which media does not come under the guided media? A. optical fibers. B. coaxial cable. C. microwave. D. twisted pair. ANSWER: C 18. The transmission mode which allow both communicating devices to transmit and receive data simultaneously is ___________. A. simplex. B. full-duplex. C. half-duplex. D. communications satellites. ANSWER: B 19. The maximum capacity of a channel to carry data is know as ___________. A. bandwidth. B. optical fiber. C. coaxial cable. D. twisted pair. ANSWER: A
20. The _______ provides mobile subscriber network access over an air interface. A. core network plane. B. end-user services plane. C. radio access plane. D. TV access plane. ANSWER: C 21. A computer which provides long distance transmission of data, images, and sound over a large distance is ____________. A. MAN. B. WAN. C. LAN. D. VAN. ANSWER: B 22. Identify the odd term out. A. router. B. PC. C. switch. D. NIC. ANSWER: B 23. The sharing of information, which includes transfer and preservation of data, is called _________. A. transmission medium. B. data communication. C. modulation. D. switching. ANSWER: B 24. Standards bodies, operators, and RAN equipment vendors have embraced _______ as the networking architecture of choice. A. ATM. B. IP. C. frame relay. D. SMTP. ANSWER: B 25. A network spread around los angles and its suburbs can be termed as ______ network. A. local area B. metropolitan C. wide area D. communication satellites ANSWER: B 26. _______ are the services residing outside the alliance architecture's core network offering that are supplied by the network operator and content provider. A. Packet services. B. Tele services. C. Value-added services. D. Supplementary services. ANSWER: C
27. The ______ is a particular set of standards that allows the interworking of products from different vendors. It usually embodies a fiber-optic ring that will permit transmission in both directions. A. local-area network (LAN). B. wide-area network (WAN). C. synchronous optical network (SONET). D. common channel signaling network. ANSWER: C 28. The types of media that can transmit information in the telecommunications world are the following ______ . A. copper wire, coaxial cable, fiber and wireless. B. hybrid fiber / coax and copper wire. C. wireless and copper wire. D. copper wire, coaxial cable, fiber and hybrid fiber /coax. ANSWER: A 29. Analog signals can be ______ by combining them with a carrier frequency. A. carried. B. transported. C. multiplexed. D. mixed. ANSWER: C 30. ________ is a high-performance switching and multiplexing technology that utilizes fixed-length packets to carry different types of traffic. A. asynchronous transfer mode (ATM). B. asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL). C. synchronous optical network (SONET). D. common channel signaling network. ANSWER: A 31. Satellite has several ___________ devices that accept a signal with specified frequency range and rebroadcast it over different frequencies. A. transmitter. B. receiver. C. transponder. D. responder. ANSWER: C 32. The transmission of signal from ground to satellite is referred to as ___________. A. uplink. B. downlink. C. transmission.. D. communication. ANSWER: A 33. The transmission of signal from satellite to ground is referred to as ___________. A. uplink. B. downlink. C. transmission..
D. communication. ANSWER: B 34. ISDN is a(n) _______ technology. A. twisted-pair. B. wireless C. coax and fiber. D. copper wire. ANSWER: A 35. ISDN operates with a _______ connection speed. A. 33.6 kbps. B. 16 kbps. C. 14.4 kbps. D. 128 kbps. ANSWER: D 36. How far can good twisted-pair lines support ADSL-1 rates? A. 6,000 ft. B. 12,000 ft. C. 18,000 ft. D. 24,000 ft. ANSWER: C 37. Internet-telephony directories enable _____________. A. users to determine other users' internet addresses. B. users to determine whether an internet site is capable of receiving internet-telephony transmissions. C. internet/PSTN interoperability. D. corporate intranets / extranets. ANSWER: C 38. In the near term, the market segment expected to be the biggest driver for VoIP telephony is _________. A. small-office / home-office (SOHO) customers B. military / government networks C. corporate intranets / extranets D. internet/PSTN interoperability. ANSWER: C 39. The public internet will be able to transport voice calls reliably and with high quality when _________. A. standards are established for internet directories. B. manufacturers produce higher-quality, lower-cost audio codec technology. C. various technologies deliver greater backbone-network and subscriber-access speeds. D. small-office / home-office (SOHO) customers. ANSWER: C 40. The maximum length of data packets in packet switching methods is________ A. 1 bytes. B. 128 - 4096 bytes.
C. 10 Mb. D. 15 Mb. ANSWER: B 41. A public switched telephone network (PSTN) uses _______switching techniques. A. packet. B. message. C. circuit. D. both (a) and (c). ANSWER: C 42. Which of the following cables support the highest bandwidth and faster transmission rate? A. Twisted pair. B. Coaxial. C. UTP. D. Fiber optic. ANSWER: D 43. The internetworking device that connects two networks together and whose sole aim is to trace the best possible route in the given network for transmitting the information is _______. A. hub. B. gateway. C. switch. D. router. ANSWER: D 44. In ______ modulation, the amplitude of a carrier wave is varied in accordance with a characteristic of the modulating signal. A. amplitude. B. frequency. C. time division . D. synchronous. ANSWER: A 45. All the lines parallel to the line of symmetry reflect off the curve and intersect in common point called ___________. A. focus. B. reflector. C. transmitter. D. guide line. ANSWER: A 46. Which of the following is not an aspect of next-generation switches? A. Open programmability. B. Partial PSTN integration. C. Low cost. D. High scalability. ANSWER: B 47. A transmission signal has _____ components. A. one
B. two C. three D. four ANSWER: B 48. The non return to zero refers to the fact that __________ stays constant. A. amplitude. B. voltage level. C. frequency. D. all the above. ANSWER: D 49. _________ is called as a self - synchronizing code. A. Non return to zero B. Fourier's code. C. Manchester code. D. Shannon's code. ANSWER: C 50. The _______ is time it takes to complete once. A. moduli. B. frequency. C. amplitude. D. period. ANSWER: D 51. The ________ defines the value between which the value oscillates. A. moduli. B. frequency. C. amplitude. D. period. ANSWER: C 52. One way to change signal is _________. A. period shift. B. frequency shift. C. amplitude shift. D. phase shift. ANSWER: D 53. Any periodic function can be expressed as an infinite sum of sine function of varying amplitude, frequency, phase shift. The sum is called _________. A. Fourier's series. B. Manchester series. C. Shannon's series. D. Phase ANSWER: A 54. _______ is used to describe transmission media's capacity. A. bit rate. B. baud rate.
C. n. D. period. ANSWER: A 55. The frequency with which the components change is _________. . A. bit rate. B. baud rate. C. n D. period. ANSWER: B 56. Bit rate = __________. A. baud rate X n2. B. n2. C. baud rate + n. D. baud rate X n. ANSWER: D 57. Nyquist theorem states that ____________. A. bit rate= baud rate. B. bit rate + n = baud rate. C. bit rate = 2f X n. D. bit rate= n+ 2f. ANSWER: C 58. Which of the following is not one of the internet protocols? A. HTTP. B. SMTP. C. PPP. D. NetBIOS. ANSWER: D 59. When signal to noise ratio is large ________. A. signal is clear. B. signal is not clear. C. no signal. D. weak signal. ANSWER: A 60. The unit of signal to noise ratio is _________. A. bps. B. bels. C. bp. D. bs. ANSWER: B 61. In optical fibres ______ is used to convert digital to analog signal. A. modem. B. codec. C. transmitter. D. detector.
ANSWER: B 62. Protocols are_________. A. agreements on how communication components and DTE's are to communicate. B. logical communication channels used for transferring data. C. physical communication channels used for transferring data. D. wireless communication channels used for transferring data. ANSWER: A 63. The method of communication in which transmission takes place in both directions, but only in one direction at a time is called _________. A. simplex. B. fore wire circuit. C. full duplex. D. half duplex. ANSWER: D 64. Error detection at the data link level is achieved by ___________. A. bit stuffing. B. cyclic redundancy codes. C. hamming codes. D. equalization. ANSWER: B 65. Which of the following is a wrong example of a network layer? A. Internet protocol (IP) -ARPANET. B. X.25 packet level protocol (PLP) -ISO. C. Source routing and domain naming - USENET. D. X.25 level 2-ISO. ANSWER: D 66. A sudden, unexpected flood of broadcast message on the network is know as a ____. A. net frenzy. B. tornado. C. broadcast storm. D. electric shower. ANSWER: C 67. The topology with highest reliability is _______ topology. A. bus. B. star. C. ring. D. mesh. ANSWER: D 68. _______ is used to correct transmission mechanism. A. Pulse code modulation. B. Frequency modulation. C. Trellis coded modulation. D. Phase shift. ANSWER: C
69. Most network problems occur at the OSI _____ layer. A. physical. B. data link. C. network. D. session. ANSWER: A 70. The unit of measurement of cycles per second is ______. A. bels. B. ampere. C. hertz. D. volts. ANSWER: C 71. Which of the following performs modulation and demodulation? A. Fiber optic. B. Satellite. C. Coaxial cable. D. Modem. ANSWER: D 72. The process of converting analog signals into digital signals so they can be processed by a receiving computer is referred to as ______________. A. modulation. B. demodulation. C. synchronizing. D. desynchronizing. ANSWER: B 73. ______ is a common technique in which a group of bits is assigned a signal defined by its amplitude and phase shift. A. Frequency modulation. B. Quadrature amplitude modulation. C. Amplitude modulation. D. Phase shift modulation. ANSWER: B 74. . Which of the following does not allow multiple user or devices to share one communications line? A. Demultiplexer. B. Multiplexer. C. Concentrator. D. Controller. ANSWER: A 75. In frequency division multiplexing channels are separated by ______ to prevent interference between adjacent channels. A. carriers. B. guard bands. C. signals. D. detectors.
ANSWER: B 76. A distributed data processing configuration in which all activities must pass through a centrally located computer is called as __________. A. ring network. B. spider network. C. hierarchical network. D. data control network. ANSWER: B 77. A characteristic of a multiprogramming system is __________. A. simultaneous execution of program instructions from two applications. B. concurrent processing of two or more programs. C. multiple CPUs. D. single CPUs. ANSWER: B 78. _________ is used to quantify the amount of noise present in a signal. A. noise ratio. B. noise to signal ratio. C. signal to noise ratio. D. signal ratio. ANSWER: C 79. The switching technique where messages are stored and then forwarded to the nearby communicating device is ____________. A. message. B. packet. C. switch. D. both (a) and (b). ANSWER: A 80. A __________ is more intelligent multiplexer that allows us to verify, acknowledge and compress data. A. broad multiplexer. B. bit multiplexer. C. concentrator.. D. byte multiplexer. ANSWER: C 81. Access to the medium from many entry points is called _________. A. contention. B. concentration. C. collision. D. conversation. ANSWER: A 82. The systematic access of small computers in a distributed data processing system is referred to as __________ A. dialed service. B. multiplexing.
C. polling. D. conversational mode. ANSWER: C 83. A teleprocessing system may consists of ___________. A. user systems. B. communications systems. C. computer center systems D. all the above. ANSWER: D 84. When a group of computers is connected together in a small area without the help of telephone lines, it is called ___________. A. Remote communication network (RCN). B. Local area network (LAN). C. Wide area network (WAN). D. Value added network (VAN) ANSWER: B 85. In Manchester encoding ________ bit is used to provide clocking. A. mid bit. B. least significant bit. C. Most significant bit. D. last 2 bits. ANSWER: A 86. In T-1 carrier the designations T-1 and DS-1 refer to the ___________. A. signal and circuit. B. circuit and signal. C. 2 signals D. 2. circuits. ANSWER: B 87. The other name for slotted ring is ____________. A. Cambridge ring. B. network ring. C. router D. network interface card. ANSWER: A 88. The Shannon's result of signal to noise ratio is ________. A. bit rate= bandwidth + log 2(1+S/N)bps. B. bit rate= bandwidth X S/N. C. bit rate= bandwidth X log 2(S/N). D. bit rate= bandwidth X log2 (1+S/N)bps. ANSWER: D 89. The _________ produces a very pure and narrow beam. A. LASER. B. MASER. C. diode.
D. LED. ANSWER: A 90. The _______________ is designed to establish communication among island using packet radio system. A. pure aloha. B. persistent C. non-persistent. D. token ring. ANSWER: A 91. An example of a medium-speed, switched communications service is _____________. A. series 1000. B. data phone 50. C. DDD. D. series 100. ANSWER: C 92. _______ protocol is used in Ethernet in combination with CSMA/CD. A. P-Persistent. B. Nonpersistent. C. Aloha. D. Token bus. ANSWER: A 93. ___________ protocol is used in office and business environments. A. P-Persistent. B. Nonpersistent C. Aloha. D. Token ring. ANSWER: D 94. Terminals are required for ________________. A. real time, batch processing and timesharing. B. real time, timesharing and distributed processing. C. real time, distributed processing and manager inquiry. D. real time, timesharing and message switching. ANSWER: D 95. The ______ protocol in factory automation. A. token bus. B. token ring. C. p-persistent. D. aloha ANSWER: B 96. ___________ is a method to reduce the number of bits during transmission while retaining the meaning of transmitted frame. A. Data processing. B. Data Compression. C. Encoding.
D. Lempel-Ziv encoding. ANSWER: B 97. The _________ method looks for often repeated stings and store them just once. A. Lempel-Ziv encoding. B. compression . C. Huffman. D. decoding. ANSWER: A 98. "Store and forward" applies to _________________. A. distributed processing. B. timesharing. C. transaction processing. D. neither (a) nor (b). ANSWER: D 99. P-Frames of MPEG are coded using ________ method. A. motion compensated prediction. B. temporal redundancy. C. quantization. D. Huffman. ANSWER: A 100. _________ is a way of predicting a value based on two existing values in MPEG. A. Relative encoding. B. Run- length encoding. C. Interpolation. D. Huffman code. ANSWER: C 101. Many data communication networks have been established which provide a wealth of on-demand information services to people at home. What is the name of the system which provides an interactive, graphics-rich service that permits user to select what they want? A. Teeter system. B. Fax system. C. Videotext system. D. Microwave system. ANSWER: C 102. Sales persons and other employees of the company who spend much of their time away from their offices but keep in touch with their company's microcomputers or mainframe computers over telephone line are called _____________. A. field workers. B. telecommuters. C. teleprocessors. D. company directors. ANSWER: B 103. Business meetings and conferences can be held by linking distantly located people through a computer network. Not only the participants exchange information but are able to see each other. What
is it called? A. Telemeeting. B. Telemailing. C. Teleconferencing. D. Teletalking. ANSWER: C 104. For connecting modem, a computer must be equipped with a port that conforms to the RS-232 standard of the Electronic Industries Association of America. What do the letters 'RS' stand for? A. Recognized standard. B. Random sequence. C. Recommended standard. D. Registered source. ANSWER: C 105. Communication between computers is almost always _______________. A. serial. B. parallel. C. series parallel. D. direct. ANSWER: A 106. What is the name given to the exchange of control signals which is necessary for establishing a connection between a modem and a computer at one end of a line and another modem and computer at the other end? A. Handshaking. B. Modem options C. Protocols. D. Duplexing. ANSWER: A 107. If communication software can be called the "traffic cop" of a micro communication system, then what should the modem be called? A. Park. B. Bridge. C. Interface. D. Link. ANSWER: B 108. Which of the following items is not used in Local Area Networks (LANs)? . A. Computer. B. Modem. C. Printer. D. Cable ANSWER: B 109. What is the name of the device that converts computer output into a form that can be transmitted over a telephone line? A. Teleport. B. Modem. C. multiplexer.
D. Concentrator. ANSWER: B 110. A modem is connected in between a telephone line and a ____________. A. network. B. computer. C. communication adapter. D. serial port. ANSWER: C 111. ___________ is an example of differential encoding. A. bipolar-AMI. B. NRZ1. C. AMI. D. Manchester code. ANSWER: B 112. The _________ is used to transmit data over optical fibres. A. amplitude shift keying. B. frequency shift keying. C. phase shift keying. D. encoding. ANSWER: A 113. The pulse code modulation is based on the sampling theorem. A. Nyquist theorem. B. Shannon's result. C. sampling theorem. D. d. Fourier's result. ANSWER: C 114. What is the commonly used unit for measuring the speed of data transmission? A. Bytes per second. B. Baud. C. Bits per second. D. Bytes per nanosecond. ANSWER: B 115. Datas are sent in blocks called __________. A. blocks. B. frames. C. sequence. D. session. ANSWER: B 116. In stop and wait flow control the destination can stop the flow of data by with holding the _________. A. frame. B. flow of data. C. data. D. acknowledgement.
ANSWER: D 117. If the bit length of the link is greater than that of the frame length ________ flow control is used. A. stop and wait. B. sliding- window C. flow synchronization. D. shared window. ANSWER: B 118. Each data frame holds the sequence number of the frame plus a field that holds the __________. A. sequence number used for acknowledgement. B. address of the frame. C. sequence number of the address. D. address of the acknowledgement. ANSWER: A 119. Which of the following is the common error detecting code? A. ASCII code. B. Grey code. C. Check code. D. CRC. ANSWER: D 120. In a synchronous modem, the receive equalizer is known as _________. A. adaptive equalizer. B. impairment equalizer. C. statistical equalizer. D. compromise equalizer. ANSWER: A 121. The error control mechanisms are referred to as _______. A. retransmission mechanism. B. automatic repeat request. C. request. D. response. ANSWER: B 122. The form of error control based on sliding window flow control that is most commonly used is called _________. A. ARQ B. NRQ. C. go-back N ARQ. D. REQ ANSWER: C 123. The frames which receives __________ are retransmitted in selective- reject ARQ . A. acknowledgement. B. positive acknowledgement. C. no acknowledgement. D. negative acknowledgement. ANSWER: D
124. The _________ station has the responsibility for controlling the operations of the link. A. substation. B. primary station. C. secondary station. D. station. ANSWER: B 125. Frames issued by the secondary are called as ________. A. trailers. B. requests. C. responses. D. source. ANSWER: C 126. The FCS and the flag fields following the data field are ________. A. trailers. B. requests. C. responses. D. source. ANSWER: A 127. With the use of bit stuffing, arbitrary bit patters can be inserted into the data field of frame. This property is known as _______. A. data consistency. B. data integrity. C. data transparency. D. data synchronization. ANSWER: C 128. The _________ frame carry the data to be transmitted for the user. A. D-frame. B. H-frame. C. L-frame. D. I-frame. ANSWER: D 129. _________ provide the ARQ mechanism when piggybagging is not used. A. S-frames. B. R-frame. C. U-frames. D. I-frames. ANSWER: A 130. __________ provides supplemental link control functions. A. S-frames. B. R-frame. C. U-frames. D. I-frames. ANSWER: C
131. A standalone program that has been modified to work on a LAN by including concurrency controls such as file and record locking is an example of____. A. LAN intrinsic software. B. LAN aware software. C. Groupware. D. LAN ignorant software. ANSWER: B 132. In a synchronous modem, the receive equalizer is known as _________. A. adaptive equalizer B. impairment equalizer. C. statistical equalizer. D. compromise equalizer ANSWER: A 133. The _______ varies the number according to the frequency with which a character appears. A. Nyquist code. B. Fourier's code. C. Huffman code. D. Shannon's code. ANSWER: C 134. The frequency assigned to the character is called as _______. A. tree's frequency. B. character's weight. C. character's frequency. D. tree's weight. ANSWER: D 135. In ________ encoding the encoded information has potential when the differences are small. A. run-length. B. Huffman. C. Lempel-Ziv. D. relative. ANSWER: D 136. Pictures or images on a computer screen are made up of a lot of small dots called ________. A. matrix. B. points. C. pixels. D. dots. ANSWER: C 137. JPEG compression consist of three phases namely________. A. DCT, quantization and encoding phases. B. encoding, decoding, quantization. C. quantization, encoding, DCT. D. DCT, decoding, encoding. ANSWER: A 138. JPEG begins by dividing an image into a series of blocks consisting of _____ pixels.
A. 6 X 6. B. 9 X 9. C. 5 X 5 D. 8 X 8 ANSWER: D 139. The ___________ relate directly to how much the pixel values changes as a function of their position in the block. A. net frequencies. B. quantization. C. spatial frequencies. D. temporal frequencies. ANSWER: C 140. A data terminal serves as an ____________. A. Effectors. B. sensor. C. both (a) and (b). D. gearshift. ANSWER: C 141. The loss in signal power as light travels down the fiber is called ________. A. attenuation. B. prorogation. C. scattering. D. interruption. ANSWER: A 142. What is the main difference between DDCMP and SDLC? A. DDCMP does not need special hardware to final the beginning of a message. B. DDCMP has a message header. C. SDLC has a IP address. D. SDLC does not use CRC. ANSWER: A 143. Which of the following transmission systems provide the highest data rate to in individual device? A. computer bus. B. telephone lines. C. voice and mode. D. lease lines. ANSWER: A 144. An example of a medium speed, switched communications service is _________. A. series 1000. B. data phone 50. C. DDD. D. All of the above. ANSWER: C 145. What is the minimum number of wires needed to send data over a serial communication link layer?
A. 1. B. 2. C. 4. D. 6. ANSWER: B 146. What is the max cable length of STP? A. 100 ft. B. 200 ft. C. 100 m. D. 200 m. ANSWER: D 147. What is the max data capacity of STP? A. 10 mbps. B. 100 mbps. C. 1000mbps. D. 10000 mbps. ANSWER: D 148. Which connector STP uses? A. BNC. B. RJ-11. C. RJ-45. D. RJ-69. ANSWER: C 149. What is max data capacity for optical fiber cable? A. 10 mbps. B. 100 mbps. C. 1000 mbps. D. 10000 mbps. ANSWER: C 150. Which of the following architecture uses CSMA/CD access method? A. ARCnet. B. Ethernet. C. ARPANET. D. NSFNET. ANSWER: B 151. What is the main difference between DDCMP and SDLC? A. DDCMP does not need special hardware to final the beginning of a message. B. DDCMP has a message header. C. SDLC has a IP address. D. SDLC does not use CRC. ANSWER: A 152. An example of digital, rather than analog, communication is __________. . A. DDD B. DDS.
C. WATS. D. DDT. ANSWER: B 153. The receive equalizer reduces delay distortions using a __________. A. tapped delay lines. B. gearshift. C. descrambler. D. difference engine. ANSWER: A 154. Cryptography technique relies on _____. A. algorithm. B. key. C. protocol. D. both (a) and (b). ANSWER: D 155. The shared key concept of cryptography is used in the ______. A. public-key. B. secret-key. C. hash function. D. digital signature. ANSWER: B 156. Firewall application is used for _______. A. trapping inbound or outbound packets. B. scanning viruses. C. encrypting message. D. electronic monitoring. ANSWER: A 157. Firewall technique, which requires a proxy for each service to be supported through it is called _________. A. packet filter. B. circuit-level gateway. C. application-level gateway. D. memory tokens. ANSWER: C 158. _______ comes into the category of identification and authentication, based on the things a user possesses. A. Smart token. B. Biometric. C. Username and password. D. Memory tokens. ANSWER: A 159. The synchronous modems are more costly than the asynchronous modems because _________. A. they produce large volume of data. B. they contain clock recovery circuits.
C. they transmit the data with stop and start bits. D. they operate with a larger bandwidth. ANSWER: B 160. Which of the following statement is correct? A. Terminal section of a synchronous modem contains the scrambler. B. Receiver section of a synchronous modem contains the scrambler. C. Transmission section of a synchronous modem contains the scrambler. D. Control section of a synchronous modem contains the scrambler. ANSWER: C 161. In a synchronous modem, the digital-to-analog converter transmits signal to the ___________. A. equalizer. B. modulator. C. demodulator. D. terminal. ANSWER: A 162. When many bits are damaged it is called as ______. A. cyclic error. B. reduced error. C. error. D. burst error. ANSWER: D 163. The heart of the modern system is a________________. A. network. B. cables. C. digital switch. D. optical fiber ANSWER: C 164. The _________ switching was developed for the analog environment. A. circuit . B. space-division C. frame. D. packet. ANSWER: B 165. The load requirement is usually expressed in terms of ________. A. busy-hour traffic load. B. busy load. C. traffic load. D. hour load. ANSWER: A 166. Alternate and adaptive routing algorithm belongs to ________. A. static routing B. permanent routing. C. standard routing. D. dynamic routing.
ANSWER: D 167. If there is only one routing sequence for each source destination pair, the scheme is known as _______. A. static routing. B. fixed alternate routing. C. standard routing. D. dynamic routing. ANSWER: B 168. An/A ________ routing scheme is designed to enable switches to react to changing traffic patterns on the network. A. static routing. B. fixed alternate routing. C. adaptive routing. D. dynamic routing. ANSWER: C 169. The term used to refer control functions that have binary character is _________. A. address. B. network management. C. call information. D. supervisory. ANSWER: D 170. _______ signals identify the subscriber. A. address. B. network management. C. call information. D. supervisory. ANSWER: A 171. The _____ refers to the signals that provide information to the subscriber about the status of the call. A. address. B. network management. C. call information. D. supervisory. ANSWER: C 172. The ________ signals are used for the maintenance, troubleshooting and overall operation of the network. A. address. B. network management. C. call information. D. supervisory. ANSWER: B 173. With _________ the same channel is used to carry control signals as is used to carry the call to which the control signals belongs. A. channeling.
B. out channel signaling. C. channel signaling. D. inchannel signaling. ANSWER: D 174. Which of the following is an advantage to using fiber optics data transmission? A. Resistance to data theft. B. Fast data transmission rate. C. Low noise level. D. All of above. ANSWER: D 175. Which of the following is required to communicate between two computers? A. Communications software. B. Protocol. C. Communication hardware. D. All of above including access to transmission medium. ANSWER: D 176. The transmission signal coding method of TI carrier is called __________. A. bipolar. B. NRZ. C. manchester. D. binary. ANSWER: A 177. What is the name given to the exchange of control signals which is necessary for establishing a connection between a modem and a computer at one end of a line and another modem and computer at the other end? A. Handshaking. B. Modem options C. Protocols. D. Duplexing. ANSWER: A 178. If communication software can be called the "traffic cop" of a micro communication system, then what should the modem be called? . A. Park B. Bridge. C. Interface. D. Link. ANSWER: B 179. In the __________ mode the common channel closely tracks along its entire length the inter switch trunk groups that are served between endpoints. A. associated mode. B. synchronous mode. C. asynchronous mode. D. non associated mode. ANSWER: A
180. In ________ the network is augmented with additional nodes. A. associated mode. B. synchronous mode. C. asynchronous mode. D. non associated mode. ANSWER: D 181. The additional nodes in non associated mode is called _________. A. points. B. sessions. C. signal transfer points. D. transfer points. ANSWER: C 182. The ______ portion of LAN management software restricts access, records user activities and audit data etc. A. configuration management B. security management C. performance management D. server management ANSWER: B 183. The time taken for a signal to propagate from one node to another is called __________. A. propagation delay. B. transmission time. C. node delay. D. switching time. ANSWER: A 184. The time taken by the transmitter for sending a data out of the block of the data is _______. A. propagation delay. B. transmission time. C. node delay. D. switching time. ANSWER: B 185. The time taken by the node to perform the necessary processing as it switches data is called _________. A. propagation delay. B. transmission time C. node delay. D. switching time. ANSWER: C 186. Which of the following does not require the call setup? A. Virtual switching. B. packet switching. C. virtual circuit switching. D. datagram packet switching. ANSWER: D
187. Which of the following is true regarding circuit switching? A. Common transmission path. B. Massages are not stored. C. No fixed bandwidth. D. The path is established for entire conversation. ANSWER: D 188. Which of the following is not true regarding datagram packet switching. A. Dedicated transmission path. B. Packet transmission delay. C. Large switching nodes. D. Overhead bits in each message. ANSWER: C 189. In _________ user is responsible for message loss protection. A. Circuit switching. B. packet switching. C. virtual circuit switching. D. datagram packet switching. ANSWER: A 190. In ___________ the message are not stored. A. Virtual switching. B. packet switching. C. virtual circuit switching. D. datagram packet switching. ANSWER: A 191. The messages are not handled independently and may not be delivered orderly or reliably in _________ service. A. connection oriented. B. connectionless. C. switching. D. internet. ANSWER: B 192. Which of the following is not the requirement of a routing function? A. Correctness. B. Robustness. C. Delay time. D. Stability. ANSWER: C 193. The term ______ refers to which node or nodes in the network are responsible for the routing decision. A. decision place. B. routing place. C. node place. D. switching place. ANSWER: A
194. For centralized routing the decision is made by some designated node called _____. A. designated center. B. control center. C. network center. D. network control center. ANSWER: D 195. In _____________ a route is selected for each source- destination pair of nodes in the network. A. flooding. B. variable routing. C. fixed routing. D. random routing. ANSWER: C 196. The technique which requires no network information required is ________. A. fixed routing. B. variable routing. C. flooding. D. random routing. ANSWER: C 197. Which of the following produces high traffic network? A. Variable routing. B. Flooding C. Fixed routing. D. Random routing. ANSWER: B 198. A ______ call is a dynamically established virtual circuit using a call setup and call clearing procedure. A. LABP. B. network. C. permanent. D. virtual. ANSWER: D 199. The number of layers in X.25 protocol are _____. A. three. B. four. C. five. D. six. ANSWER: A 200. An example of routing algorithm is _________. A. TELNET. B. TNET. C. ARPANET. D. ARNET. ANSWER: C 201. The basic form of error control used in X.25 is ____________.
A. ARQ. B. N ARQ. C. AQ. D. go-back NRQ. ANSWER: D 202. The ___________ of the logical connections takes place in the second layer of X.25. A. demultiplexing. B. congestion control. C. multiplexing and switching. D. flow control. ANSWER: C 203. Error detection at the data link level is achieved by ____________. A. bit stuffing. B. cyclic redundancy codes. C. Hamming codes. D. equalization. ANSWER: B 204. The topology with highest reliability is ____________. A. bus topology. B. star topology. C. ring topology. D. mesh topology. ANSWER: D 205. Baud means ___________. A. the number of bits transmitted per unit time. B. the number of bytes transmitted per unit time. C. the rate at which the signal changes. D. none of the above. ANSWER: C 206. Start and stop bits are used in serial communication for ___________. A. error detection. B. error correction. C. synchronization. D. slowing down the communication. ANSWER: C 207. Unmodulated signal coming from a transmitter is known as ___________. A. carrier signal. B. base band signal. C. primary signal. D. secondary signal. ANSWER: B 208. Pick the correct statements: A. A switched circuit is a dial-up circuit that may encounter blockage (busy signal). B. A switched leased line supports higher data volume and quality than switched lines.
C. Non switched lines are expensive for high volume data. D. Switched circuit provides faster response time. ANSWER: A 209. In the carrier sense network if the prevailing condition is a 'channel busy', then which of the following are correct? A. a. If the technique used is non-persistent then it results in non randomized wait and sense. B. b. If the technique used is 1-persistent then the channel is continually sensed. C. c. If the technique used is p-persistent then randomized retransmission is done. D. d. If the method used is non-persistent then continuous sensing results. ANSWER: B 210. Pick the system that can be used in both priority and non-priority modes. A. TDM. B. Register insertion. C. Carrier sense systems. D. FDM. ANSWER: C 211. A router __________. A. forwards a packet to all outgoing links, except the link upon which the packet originated. B. forwards a packet to all outgoing links. C. forwards a packet to the next free outgoing link. D. determines on which outgoing link a packet is to be forwarded. ANSWER: D 212. The Hamming distance between 001111 and 010011 is ___________. A. 1. B. 2. C. 3. D. 4. ANSWER: C 213. BSC is a __________. A. character oriented protocol. B. bit-oriented protocol. C. full-duplex protocol. D. simplex protocol. ANSWER: A 214. HDLC is _____________. A. bit oriented. B. decode transparent. C. code dependent. D. byte oriented. ANSWER: A 215. Choose the correct statement. A. Base band network uses analog technology. B. Base band network in Time Division Multiplexed. C. Broadband network uses digital technology.
D. In broadband network, the carrier signals operate at lower frequency. ANSWER: B 216. In Ethernet CSMS/CD, the special bit sequence transmitted by media access management for collision handling is called as ____________. A. preamble. B. post amble. C. jam. D. junk. ANSWER: C 217. Adaptive or dynamic directory used in packet routing changes _________. A. within each user session. B. with each user session. C. at system generation time only. D. both (a) and (b). ANSWER: A 218. The method of network routing where every possible path between transmitting and receiving DTE is used is called ___________. . A. random routing. B. packet flooding. C. directory routing D. message switching. ANSWER: B 219. Which one of the following network uses dynamic or adaptive routing? A. TYMNET. B. ARPANET. C. SNA (IMB's System Network Architecture) D. ATM. ANSWER: B 220. The difference between a multiplexer and a statistical multiplexer is ___________. A. Multiplexers use TDM (time division multiplexing), which statistical multiplexer uses FDM (frequency division multiplexing). B. Multiplexers often waste the output link capacity, while statistical multiplexers optimize its use. C. Statistical multiplexers need buffers while multiplexers do not need buffers. D. Multiplexers use the X.25 protocol, while statistical multiplexers use the ALOHA protocol. ANSWER: C 221. A modem constellation diagram has data points at (0, 1) and (0, 2). What type of modulation does the modem use? A. Phase modulation. B. Amplitude modulation C. Frequency modulation. D. Both (a) and (b). ANSWER: B 222. End-to-end connectivity is provided from host-to-host in ___________. A. the network layer.
B. the transport layer. C. the session layer. D. it is a combined functionality of the network and the data link layer. ANSWER: B 223. Pick the correct statement. A. In connection-oriented service, the destination address is to be specified only during the setup. B. Initial setup is possible in connectionless service. C. Packet sequencing is not guaranteed in connection-oriented service D. Initial setup is required for connectionless service ANSWER: A 224. Pick the correct statement about flooding. A. It is a type of isolated routing. B. It is a method in which every incoming packet is not sent out on every outgoing line except the one by which it arrived. C. Flooding does not always select the shortest path. D. Selective flooding is a type in which the packets are not sent to those lines that are going approximately in the right direction. ANSWER: A 225. The parameter which gives the probability of the transport layer itself spontaneously terminating a connection due to internal problem is called __________. A. protection. B. resilience. C. option negotiation. D. transfer failure. ANSWER: B 226. Which of the following is not a transmission medium? A. Telephone lines. B. Coaxial cable. C. Modem. D. Microwave systems. ANSWER: C 227. In session layer, during data transfer, the data stream responsible for the control purpose (i.e. control of the session layer itself) is ____________. A. regular data. B. typed data. C. capability data. D. expedited data. ANSWER: C 228. Which of the following does not take place at the physical layer of OSI model of the LAN architecture? A. Encoding and decoding of signals. B. preamble generation/ removal. C. Bit transmission/ reception. D. Providing interface. ANSWER: D
229. In _____________ delivery, both the deliverer of the IP packet and the destination are on the same network. A. a connectionless B. a direct C. a connection oriented D. an indirect ANSWER: C 230. In __________ deliver, packets of a message are logically connected to one another. A. a connectionless B. a direct C. a connection oriented D. an indirect ANSWER: C 231. In ____________ delivery, a packet is not connected to any other packet. A. a connectionless B. a direct C. a connection oriented D. an indirect ANSWER: D 232. When a direct delivery is made, both the deliverer and receiver have the same _________ A. routing table. B. host id. C. IP address. D. Net id. ANSWER: D 233. When was Modem invented and in which country? A. 1963, USA. B. 1965, Germany. C. 1950, USA. D. 1950, Japan. ANSWER: C 234. In ______ routing, the mask and the destination address are both 0.0.0.0 in the routing table. A. next-hop B. host-specific C. network-specific D. default ANSWER: D 235. The change in specific rotation due to interconversion of a form into b form or vice versa is known as ______ A. Mutarotation. B. Epimerisation. C. Isomerisation. D. Cyclization. ANSWER: B
236. In _______ routing, the routing tables hold the address of just the next hop instead of complete route information. A. next-hop B. host-specific C. network-specific D. default ANSWER: A 237. In ______ routing, the destination address is a network address in the routing tables. A. next-hop B. host-specific C. network-specific D. default ANSWER: C 238. The ____ flag indicates the availability of a router. A. up B. host specific C. gateway D. added by redirection ANSWER: D 239. For a direct deliver, the ____ flag is on. A. up B. host specific C. gateway D. added by redirection ANSWER: C 240. A distributed data processing configuration in which all activities must pass through a centrally located computer is called a ______. A. Hierarchial network. B. Spider network. C. Ring network. D. Data control Network. ANSWER: B 241. Network cable lies on _______ layer. A. physical B. data link C. network D. transport ANSWER: A 242. Printer server uses a ______which is a buffer that holds data before it is send to the printer. A. queue B. spool C. terminal D. buffer ANSWER: B
243. Terminators are used in ______ topology. A. bus B. star C. ring D. mesh ANSWER: A 244. Protocols in which the sender sends one frame and then waits for an acknowledgement before proceeding are called _____________. A. Sliding Window. B. Stop-and-wait. C. Frame buffer. D. Analog. ANSWER: B 245. The data link layer takes the packet it gets from the network layer and encapsulates them into _________. . A. cells. B. frames. C. 3.packet. D. trailer ANSWER: B 246. The number of bit positions in which the codewords differ is called _______. A. code distance. B. hamming distance. C. flow control. D. error pulse. ANSWER: B 247. Polynomial code is also known as ________. A. ARC. B. BRC. C. CRC. D. DRC. ANSWER: C 248. Protocols in which the sender waits for a positive acknowledgement before advancing to the next data item are often called _________. A. ARQ. B. PPR. C. ARS. D. PRP. ANSWER: A 249. The X.25 standard specifies a ______. A. technique for start- stop data. B. technique for dial access. C. DTE/DCE interface. D. data bit rate.