DOCTORAL STUDY: INTERNATIONAL CRITERIA & PROCESS
Eligibility for admission into a PhD:
A minimum of a Bachelor’s plus Master’s degree or a Bachelor with Honours equivalent to four years of study and
attainment at First Class or 2:1 level. Academic Board may require that applicants have sufficient experience of
individual research to benefit from the course of study.
Academic IELTS 6.5 (no band score less than 6.0), or,
TOEFL (C) 232, ER 4.0; iBT 19 (Writing minimum 20). Some Colleges may specify a higher level of attainment.
To be considered for admission into a PhD the following documents are required:
1. A completed international application form
2. Verified copies (translated where necessary ) of all academic transcripts and graduation certificates
3. A research proposal of approximately 1,000 words
4. Verified copy of the applicant’s passport or birth certificate (birth certificates should be translated where
Summary of doctoral application process:
1. Receipt of the application is acknowledged by email and an ID number advised
2. Academic assessment is undertaken by the relevant College
3. Applications approved by the Colleges are considered by the Doctoral Research Committee at a monthly
4. Approved candidate is issued with an Offer of Place and advised of the supervisor’s name and contact
details. The offer may be conditional on meeting further requirements, eg English language attainment
5. Candidate accepts the Offer of Place and pays fees (or provides formal evidence of scholarship funding)
6. Confirmation of Place is issued (this includes an acknowledgement of payment) and used to apply for
7. Candidate liaises with the supervisor to further develop the proposal and complete the DRC 2 forms required
8. The DRC approves the candidate’s registration under the conditions specified in the DRC2 and the Graduate
Research School formally enrols the candidate into the doctoral programme.
If students are approved into the PhD, they have two years to take up the Offer of Place from the date of the DRC
Memo. If four months or more has lapsed between the Offer being issued and payment received, the the
International Office email GRS and supervisor (or college administrator) to confirm supervisory capacity.
International PhD students pay tuition fees at domestic rates (this currently excludes named doctorates, eg, Doctor of
Education for which international tuition fees will apply). In order to be eligible for domestic fees PhD students must be
domiciled in New Zealand for the duration of their PhD candidature.
Contact: [email protected]