Definition Types of Autism
• Asperger's syndrome – mildest form of Autism where the child becomes obsessed with one subject. Often accompanied by impaired social skills and physical uncoordinated. • Pervasive developmental disorder (PDD-NOS) – a middle line form of Autism. This is accompanied by impaired social skills, language disorders, and repetitive behaviors. • Autistic disorder – a more severe version of PDD often accompanied by mental retardation and seizures. • Rett syndrome – a rare form of Autism where the child stops responding socially, wrings hands habitually, and loses language skills. Coordination problems appear and can become severe. • Childhood disintegrative disorder (CDD) – the most severe and rare form of Autism where the child develops and then rapidly losses multiple areas of function.
* It is important to note that each child is different and these are only typical symptoms of each type of Autism.
AUTISM Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.
What We Treat Speech Therapy
• Communication Skills • Repetitive Behaviors • Language Disorders
• Sensory Disorders • Activities of Daily Living
* We do not diagnose for Autism. While we treat many of the symptoms that frequently accompany Autism, we will not cure a child’s Autism.
Age of Diagnosis
Characteristics of Autism must be present before the child is three as a criteria of diagnosis. However, many younger children may display these symptoms and not actually have Autism. Due to this, many Physicians want to wait until the child is four or five to diagnose.
Symptoms to look for in children with Autism who may need our services:
• Inability to communicate • Taking their guardian to the item they need instead of communicating their wants • Echolalia – repeating what they hear either immediately or at a later time (delayed echolalia) • Sensory Problems – upset when receive certain sensory inputs • Problems with balance/coordination/stiff muscle movement
Easter Seals: easterseals.com ACES (Autism Consulting and Educational Services): aces4you.com Autism Treatment Center: atcoftexas.org Dallas Metrocare: metrocareservices.org
Familes for Effective Autism Treatment North Texas: