Definition – continue education is all the learning activities that occur after an individual has completed his basic education. (Cooper) “That education which build on previous education” Shannon “Continuing education in nursing consist of systematic learning experiences designed to enlarge the knowledge and skill of nurses. “It is distinct from education to word. Academic degree. It is generally for short period and is sponsored by college, university or health agencies.
Features:• Unified approach • Relationship with other system • Comprehensiveness. • Accessibility for women health workers • Integration & management processes. • Analysis of needs as a basic for learning • Internally co-ordinate • Relevance in planning. • Creditability and economics. • Appropriate in implementation
NEED:• To ensure safe and effective Nursing care. • Development of nurses will occur by updating their knowledge. • For career advancement. • To meet the new challenges. • To acquire new/speaicelized skills. • The demand of specialized nursing service • It provide educational growth compatible with the realities of both work situation and home responsibilities • To provide and prepare facility who see continuing nursing education as a personal and professional responsibility universally responsibility. • To meet the needs of population and should cater for the needs of service.
FUNCTIONS:- OF CONTINUING EDUCATION
1. To meet the health needs and public expectation. 2. To develop the practicing abilities of the nurse. 3. Recruitment function. 4. Recognized gaps in their knowledge 5. To test the ability to do final academic study. 6. To improve communication between the participants, faculity, community and health sector. 7. To test the participants ability to do formal academic study. 8. To shape or support University educational polices and practices. 9. To ensure the quality of education. 10. To grant budget for extensive study. 11. To maintain academic standards. 12. To meet educational requirement.
Philosophy:Continuing nursing education is concerned with the development of a nurse as a person a practitioner and a citizen. Nurse philosophy of life, nursing and education beliefs etc will influence the philosophy of continue nursing education. Nursing is based an knowledge of the philosophy, psychological functioning of man within his environments, expanding the knowledge related to man and his dynamic, philosophy field of operation is concern. • To sharpen the judging and an increased understanding of ideas and values as they shape personal & social goals. • To maintain & worth & dignity. • To shape personal and social goals. • To develop basic nursing abilities.
ELEMENTS:- IN CONTINUING EDUCATION
1. Leaner:- As a person a name a citizen ,an Adult. 2. Teacher / Nurse education. • Educational Qualification:1. MSc/ Phd. 2. credential with more publication. 3. Writing and organizing skill. 4. A continue learner. 5. Clinical expertisedness. 6. Depth of nursing knowledge. 7. Skill in working with adult learner. 8. Adequate knowledge about teaching skill, method of teaching. 9. Broad based knowledge. 10. Should act as role model, creative teaching is essential
competence and other characteristics:• Concern to people. • Flexibility. • Willing to travel. • Detailed advice knowledge of teaching. • Resourcefulness. • Determination. • Self confidence. • A sense of humor. • Broad out look. • A Zest of life. • Love of adventure. • Desire to search the unknown. • Interest in self –development and in other development.
The Facility administrator.
• Teaching is his part of responsibility. • He possess high degree administrative skill • He should administrative access abilities of faculty • Help faculty member to strengthen teaching skill. • Provide conducive atmosphere to faculty & performs.
Motivation of learner
1. Involvement in learning process also involve in planning designing the learner activities. 2. Organized learning experience. 3. The need of society. 4. Universalisation of continue education is necessary 5. The leisure: -- How to use leisure time constructively 6. Liberal education. 7. Inter professional continue education.
Inter need of learning is more effective then incentive like TD/DA, certificate, grades or credits 1. Involvement in learning process:-- learner has participate in the learning process it depends upon the student herself learning can done only by learner 2. Organized learning experiences: ---learner also in more directly in programme, planning and in conduct of course and deciding which educational experience and activity is most important. 3. The need of Society:- Quality of the life and need of society influence the learning needs of nurse. 4. Universalization :-of nursing education is necessary 5. The Leisure:- Individual has to learn how to use leisure time constructively, participate in more educational activities. 6. Liberal education :- Future nursing practice will place heavy demand on health professional and that effective human practice require practitioner with the insight, understanding and attitude which can be fulfilled through liberal education 7. Inter professional continue education: - now educational programmer, curse contents open to all those in various health
fields. Nurses have to accept and participate. Inter disciplinary continue education PRINCIPALS OF CONTINUE EDUACATION. 1.PROVISION for school and nursing faculty involvement in planning and teaching 2. An adequate staff is essential in planning implementation and evaluation a programme. 3. Responsibilities of Director of Nursing of continuous education • Determination of learning needs of the nurse population. • Development and implementation of programme to meet these needs • Evaluation the results. 4. Staff Service are required with sufficient talents • Advisory committee ============> Principal ============>Vice Principal • Secretarial • Administrative • Supportive • Assistance with:- Research Publicity • Questionnaires • Evaluation Tools ============>Cleaned staff
• Data Analysis • Computer Programming • Advisory Committee. An Advisory Committee has be appointed which includeFaculty members from a variety of area of Nursing practice • Directors of Hospital Nursing Services. • Representatives from state authority • Extended care Facilities • Hospital Association • Medical and allied health Professional • Other Agencies involved in Health care delivery 5. The Community may serve as a liaison between school of nursing and the health community learner 6. Continue Nursing. Education Programming may be decentralizing eg.Faculity of academic department or separate extension division is responsible for Continue education programme of entire university. Planning:- A successful Continue Education Programme is a result of careful and detailed planning. Aspect of planning are:-
• Broad planning by institution and agenesis response for Continue Nursing Education Programme. • Specific planning by individual for their own continue education • Planning is essential to meet:1. Too meet the nursing needs. 2. Use available resources. 3. Meet needs at all level that state, local, regions, national, international 4. Avoid duplication of efforts. 5. Help keep minimum gap in meeting need 6. Select of teaching faculty depend upon availably Planning process:1. Establish goals with Purpose:- Purposes given the direction in planning. It identify reason for existence, Purposes are based on learning needs and societal need. So it should be renewing time to time. Planning formula:- What , why, how, where, when, who 1. What is to be done:- What is your unit expectable to do breaks unit 2. Why is it necessary:- Alternate methods which are necessary to meet the goals. 3. How is to be done: - by utilization man money material equipments. 4. Where to be done:- study flow of works availability of material best suitable job. work, man money material.
5. When is to be done:- Time table Best utilization of Man. Money, Material. 6. Who should do the job:- Determine what skill are needed to be job successfully select or train the man best suitable job.
2. Establishing Goals and objectives:• Planning moves toward:- goals which are significant and realistic which can be attained. Goals serve to stimulate and direct action and should be reachable. • An objective is specific:- It is desired and accomplishment to be sought. Objectives:• To assist the nurse in identifying and meeting current learning needs. Which change by professional practice. • To promote the development of leadership potential of the nurse. • To develop varied teaching methods for extending nursing knowledge and competency. • To facilitate a return practice:- Demo- Re-demo • To asses the health needs of nurse, hospital community to plan implement and evaluate education programme. • To seek collaboration other health disciplines to effort improvement in the delivery of health case system.
3. Determining needs and priorities 4. Assessment Prioritizing :-assessment of needs will be done by survey through mail questionnaires, interview, formal and informal discussion & participants by checklist after assessing--- Prioritization of need to be done. Assess Available Resources:- Assessment of ways and means to meet the established programme goal. Faculty Finance, facilities are major resources. Plan the Budget Adequate Finance support:- so that faculty and facilities with easy accessibility 5.Plan the Budget appropriate for programme. Separate Budget is required for each specific activity. Budget requires ascertaining all anticipated cost. Sometimes budget is sanctioned by Govt/ University. Writing for proposal perforation: - the proposal should be written with carefulness clear,concise,families terms which include enough detail so that reviewers have thorough understanding of what project intend to accomplish.
FORMAT FOR PROPOSAL PRESENTATION:I. cover sheet includes:• Name of project……… • Summary of project • Name of funding sources. • Name and institution submitting project • Name of principal initiator involved in proposal presentation…….
• Date of submission ………
II. III A
Proposal abstract (optimal) Proposal narrative Statement of objectives • Describe the nature of problem • Document existence of problem with appropriate date • Describe the existing efforts to solve the problem • Define target groups
• State the goal of project B Procedure • Describe phases or sequences of procedure • Describe work performed at each stage &duration • Personal handling each component of ware
C D E
Facilities required Resources that will be tapped. Evaluation procedure. IV Budget Narrative: -• Criteria and data used to make estimates • Breakdown of budgetary material
Appendices: -• Statement outlined qualification of institution requesting funds. • Vitae of personal involvement. • Supporting statement from proposed clientele. • Supporting statement from co-operative agencies.
Sample Format for Budget: ---• Project Title ----------
• Project period from----------To----------
Personal service: --• List all position title. • Give the annual rates. • Percent of time an project. • Projected increase in the salaries. • Funds needed to cover emergencies.
Equipments: -• Office equipment • Computer &computer operator. • Cost of maintains agreement. • Audiovisual equipment. • Purchased or Rented.
Travel: --• Number of trips • Place of trip distance. • Cost per trip. • Vehicle –on rent-cost. Per K.m.
Other costs:--• Insurance • Miscellaneous .
Trainees cost: --• Stipends • TD/DA
• Travel • Mess-expenses. • Living Expenses.
Sample proposal abstract: -• Proposal Title________ • Submitted by________ • Problem statement _____ • Objective________ • Procedure__________ • Time Table________ • Total Budget__________
Programming of professional course in nursing is a joint respansilnlity of director of continue education and dean of school of Nursing. The format channels of communication make possible the optimal use of the nursing faculty of explore need of continuing education. Organization patter is as:-
BOARD OF REGENTS
DEAN OF CONTINUE EDUCATION
DEAN OF SCHOOL OF NURSING
DEAN OF OTHER DEPARTMENTS
DIRECTOR OF CONFERENCE
DIRECTOR OF CONTINUE EDUCATION
ADVISORY COMMITTEE CONTINUE NURSING EDUCATION
BOARD OF REGENTS
DEAN OF SCHOOL OF NURSING
DIRECTOR OF CONTINUE EDUCATION
DIRECTOR OF BASIC NURSING PROGRAMME
DIRECTOR OF GRADUATE PROGRAMME
Evaluation:- is needed to assess the effectiveness of programme or the
progress. In order to find out what extent pre-test goals have been achieved. It can be done at different stage of the programme. Example. Pre-test, implementation stage, at the end of training, post-test.
Purpose of evaluation:
To identify the areas which require greater attention in terms of participation of trainees. (Preparatory stage) To identify bottlenecks in various activities carried out during the operation of the programme ( Implementation Stage)
To assess the applicability of training in field or actual situation. Qualitative improvement in instruction. Promote better learning, determine future change or needs.
For quality control or qualitative improvement.
What to Evaluate:Evaluation should cover: The growth & satisfaction of participants. The out come of course. Effectiveness of faculty members.
Effects on system.
Procedure to Evaluate: Pretest and post test. Attitude tests. Observation of skill. Questionnaire. Audio-video tapes tests.
Evaluation Design: Focus of Evaluation Devise the instrument retrieving Analyze the information. Report the finding. Re- assessing the goals. Updating, modifying the plan, periodically based a needs. Evaluate the design for validity, reliability, credibility, timeliness and pervasiveness. -------- what you want to find out? ------- Collection of information.
Organize the information------Coding, Organizing, storing,