Fall 2015 Iron County Historical Society Newsletter

Published on May 2016 | Categories: Types, Creative Writing | Downloads: 72 | Comments: 0 | Views: 295
of 10
Download PDF   Embed   Report

The quarterly newsletter of the Iron County Historical Society. This edition features a transcription of an article from the Iron County Register about Ironton in the 1870s and 1880s, an article about a Illinois Watch Company railroad watch from our collection, and a tribute to the late Bertha "Bert" LaPlante.



Iron County Historical Society Newsletter
Fall 2015
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 183
Ironton, MO 63650

Iron County Historical Society

E-Mail: [email protected]

Founded 1974

Museum Address
Whistle Junction Train Depot
Highway 21, Arcadia, MO

Website: www.rootsweb.com/~moichs
Telephone: (573) 546-3513

Next Meeting (Special Date): 2 p.m., Sunday, October 25th
First Presbyterian Church, Corner of Knob & Reynolds, Ironton
~ Program ~
Jesse James: Missouri Outlaw presented by Randall Cox
~Refreshments by ~
John Abney

Museum Director’s Report

President’s Message
John Abney

Wilma Cofer

Hello again, and I hope you are all enjoying this
wonderful fall season! It’s a busy time for your
historical society. We are once again sponsoring a booth
at this year’s Fall Mountain Music Festival and are
pushing back our regular quarterly meeting by one week
to October 25th so we won’t conflict with the event.
Randall Cox is presenting this quarter’s program on
Jesse James and I hope as many of our members as
possible will be able to attend.

New Accessions:

I would ask that each of you look at the flyer and
message of page 2 of this newsletter. Our second annual
Trivia Contest and Silent Auction will take place on the
evening of Friday, November 6th. Last year’s event
netted enough funds to cover approximately one-quarter
of your historical society’s annual operating expenses.
Early next year, we will be embarking on an ambitious
project to publish a new pictorial history of Iron County.
I would like to have it ready for sale by this time next
year, but definitely before Iron County celebrates its
160th birthday in February 2017. We still need
volunteers willing to serve on the book’s publication
committee. You don’t even have to live locally to help.
If you are interested and would like more information,
just send me an email at [email protected] and
I will get back with you.
Finally, as always, we need volunteers for the museum.
If you can help, please give Wilma Cofer a call.


We have received WWII uniforms and miscellaneous
memorabilia donated by Mrs. Carolyn Funk. There are
several other items from others as yet not processed.
Donations / Memorials Received:
We have received a $50 memorial in memory of Wanda
Rayfield and a $50 memorial in memory of Bert
LaPlante from Carolyn Sheehy; plus an additional $300
in miscellaneous donations for this quarter to date.
July – 589 from 25 states + MO & Taiwan & UK;
Aug – 363 from 16 states + MO & Ontario & Canada;
Sept –336 from 23 states + MO & no other countries.

Membership Chairman’s Report
Wilma Cofer
We gained two members and lost 1 to death. We
currently have 127 members and seven exchange
members. We still have 11 on the overdue payment list.

New member(s):
Ira Ann Hawkins, Ironton, MO, and Ed Parker, Ironton,
MO. Welcome to our Society!

Don’t Forget to Save the Date!!! Friday, November 6th
We will be calling all of our local members. We will need donations for snacks and refreshments, items
for our silent auction, and volunteers to help with the event. If you aren’t local, please consider making a
donation to help defray the costs of the event. This event is our only fundraiser for the year and we need
everyone’s support to make it successful. Thank you, as always, for your support!

Ironton’s Main Street Fifty and Sixty Years
(Part 1 of 2) Transcribed by John Abney2
Many times I have thought that I would like to see how
my childish memories and impressions of Ironton's Main
Street would look on paper. Until I was six or seven
years of age my parents lived near the south end of the
street, therefore it is the south end which I remember
best. As we lived near Stout's Creek, where some of us
children frequently played, I will pretend to enter Main
Street over one of the numerous and different kinds of
bridges which spanned the stream at one time or another.
Freshets came oftener than they do now and after each
one a plank was put in place for temporary use, until the
old bridge could be repaired, or if washed away, a new
one put in. The old swinging bridge, the last before the
wagon bridge was built, if I remember correctly, was
fastened at the Ironton end by a chain to some support.
When the bridge washed downstream from the Arcadia
side, workmen could pull it back into place and it would
be secure until the next freshet, which usually came in
the spring. So sudden were these rises that the spots
where we could cross on stepping stones and where
ladies could pass without dampening their long flowing
habits would, in a few hours, be a rolling, tumbling
torrent carrying trees and debris downstream.
At such a time I have seen the water back up to the
Emerson Place. On one occasion I remember that Mr.
and Mrs. Speck had to move out of their home until the
water subsided. They went to the home of their
neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Markham, whose place stood
on a rise across the road. (This mention of the Markham
family reminds me of the day that their house burned.
We school children heard the news after we left school
one afternoon. The older girls were so sorry to hear of
the burning of all of Miss Fanny's pretty clothes that they
decided to give her a warm dressing gown, the "hostess
gown" of today. They bought a dark red material, had
the gown made and presented it to Miss Fanny.) Mr.
Markham later built the house which is now standing.
Adjoining the Markham place on the north was the
Lindsay property, now called the Emerson place. The
“Ironton’s Main Street Fifty and Sixty Years Ago.” (Ironton,
Missouri), Iron County Register, 20 December 1934, p. 1 and
27 December 1934, p. 1 Note that the article appears as
written with the exception of punctuation and capitalization


1419 Woodfield Ct, Farmington, MO 63640;
[email protected]


brick for this house was burned on the grounds. The
family occupied the house for a time and then sold it to
Judge Emerson, who finished it thru-out. The grounds
were beautified and this property became the show place
of this vicinity. It is here that the "Grant Oak" stands. It
is strange how certain historical facts become confused
and twisted. I have heard that families living in this
house in more recent years have had misinformed
strangers ask permission to go thru the house to look at
Grant's relics and furniture.

Emerson Park, on the property of Judge Emerson, Iron
County Historical Society
Across the road from Emerson's was the John Newman
vegetable garden, which supplied the valley with all
kinds of vegetables during the short summer season.
Now these vegetables are a necessity the year around to
supply the vitamins essential to health. How did people
live to the ripe old age in those days? As soon as the
gardener's bell was heard in the neighborhood, on went
the housewife's split bonnet and out she went, armed
with a basket, to buy the needed vegetables for dinner.
For years the wagon made two trips to Graniteville and
across to Iron Mountain, as the quarries and mines were
running full time then. One day Mr. Newman collected
about fifty dollars from his customers and started his
drive toward Ironton. Near Gum Springs a lone bandit,
at the point of a gun, demanded the cash and got it.
Hold-ups then were almost unheard of. The harrowing
story brought forth comments from many, who ventured
to say what they would have done under the
The boys in the neighborhood made their first money
picking beans and peas for Mr. Newman and they were
very proud of the jingling change in their pockets. When
my cousins and I were old enough, we were allowed to
pick goose-berries and red currants. We were delighted
with the remuneration because nickels were not plentiful
for us. The largest tree in this part of the country, an

elm, stood in the Newman front yard. I also want to
make mention of the Lombardy poplars which grew
along a branch on the Newman home-place. I am sure
that they were the first in this part of the country and
they were the tallest I have ever seen. The Lombardy
poplar is short lived and these died many years ago.

and the Newman shops long ago disappeared and the
lots where they stood are now vacant. A drive between
the mill and the shops led to the old Newman home,
which was on the site of the Valley Inn. Beside the front
steps were two huge lilac bushes, each a real bouquet
when in bloom.
I remember the fire-place in the sitting room was the
largest I have ever seen. I think it was long enough to
take a stick of cord wood. The mantel was so tall that
only grown-ups could reach it. The hearth was of flag
stones and many tears were shed over broken china dolls
and china ornaments which were dropped on that hearth.
There was every kind of fruit tree in the yard. The poor
grandmother, with all of her watching, could call very
little of the fruit her own because by the time, yes before,
the red June apples were ripe there were scarcely enough
for a pie.
Just north of the wagon shop was the home of Thomas
Newman, then a five room cottage. It was remodeled
some years later by William Newman, and still stands.

John Newman home, Iron County Historical Society
I frequently went down to the Newman home, and one
day while I was in the attic searching for something I
heard the most weird music or noise that had ever struck
my young ears. I was frightened and hurried downstairs.
The hall door was open and there stood a hurdy-gurdy
man, grinding away on an old wheezy hand-organ, and a
little monkey sitting on the top dressed in a red coat and
cap. I ran thru the house and the monkey, holding out the
cap for pennies, came after me. The animal was fastened
by a long, fine chain to the organ and the master had to
follow us. When Mrs. Newman saw her strange visitors,
a brisk conversation ensued. Of course the man could
not understand what was being said but he knew that the
lady of the house was showing him the gate without the
donation of pennies.
North of the Newman garden was the Shepherd (or
perhaps Shepherd and Baldwin) Planing Mill. As I
remember the sound from the mill, I am sure that no
noise was more conducive to sleep than the humming
and droning on a warm afternoon. The mill was a source
of much pleasure to us girls because we could get
armloads of long yellow shavings and put them under
our head bands. We felt just as dressed up as Mary
Pickford looked when she wore curls. The fact that dark
hair might show under the artificial curls made no
difference to us.
North across the drive-way stood the blacksmith and
wagon shop run by Newman and Son. The planing mill


The children of the neighborhood derived much pleasure
from watching the trains of charcoal wagons which
passed thru the town on the way to Pilot Knob. These
great loads of charcoal were used then to fire the
furnaces which melted the ore. We could hear the
tinkling of bells before the procession crossed Stout's
Creek. I would climb the gate post and sit waiting for the
wonderful parade. The wagons had high beds flaring at
the top and each held many bushels of coal. A number of
wagons made up a train and each wagon was drawn by
four or six mules, the leads having bells on the harness.
My brother's ambition was to grow up to be driver of a
coal wagon so that he could pop a long whip just as
those men did. I have been told that a number of these
wagons travelled together because sometimes a latent
spark would break into flames and one driver would be
helpless in fighting the fire alone. A bucket with water
was always carried on each wagon.
Charcoal burning is an old art and very few old colliers
are living now. I wish that one of them could be
interviewed and the report published. I am sure that it
would be interesting and instructive. South of Arcadia I
have seen open spaces out on the hills where the soil was
very black and coarse, and I have been told that these
places were old "coalings," or places where charcoal had
been burned. Many loads of hoop poles were brought in
from the country to be exchanged for supplies. Hoop
pole shaving is also a thing of the past.
Other types of travelers and wagon trains crossed Stout's
Creek. It was not an uncommon sight to see gypsies in

their brightly decorated wagons. One afternoon my
mother made several dolls for us out of towels, aprons,
night gowns, etc. When we were settled with our
playthings she slipped away to a neighbors, but we soon
missed her and followed. When we returned our dolls
were gone. A neighbor told mother that she had seen
gypsy girls enter the yard while we were away. That
news aroused mother's suspicions and she started out to
find the wanderers. She soon located them and
demanded the clothing, which of course they denied
taking. They whimpered and refused until they were
threatened with the law, and then they returned
everything. Mother made all of our clothing by hand
then (sewing machines were a luxury), and it would have
meant much extra stitching to replace the articles.
I now return to the subject of landmarks and cross the
street to the little cottage of "Granny" Griffin and her
devoted son Tommy. "Granny" was quite a character in
our part of town. We often visited her and she would fill
our apron pockets with dried apples and peaches. If she
was not in the best of humor, the children in the
neighborhood kept out of reach of her cane which had a
hook on the end of it. She could wield this stick with real
dexterity. "Granny" advised the mothers on raising their
children. One day she chased my brother and me home
as she said that we were out too soon after a siege of
measles. She started across the road, scolding as she
came, and followed us into the house. Mother received
one of her frequent lectures but after "Granny" had
expressed herself, invariably she would say, "Goodbye
and God bless you, Jane." She was a quaint little figure
and I can see her walking up and down the side walk.
Most of the year she wore brogan shoes and heavy yarn
stockings, a very full short skirt, quilted petticoat, a
loose waist, and apron. Over all this she wore a circular
cape which reached almost to the bottom of her dress. A
dark quilted hood finished her costume. She was a very
friendly person and stopped everyone for a chat. One of
her great favorites was William A. Fletcher, for he was
Irish too.
Just north of the Griffin place still stands a small frame
house but I cannot remember who lived there. Next
came the Whitworth home, the outside of which is but
little changed. Across the road was a low rambling
house occupied by Judge Call and relatives named
Broadwell. A boy there entertained himself most of the
time by humming and beating on a tin lid. I must
mention the dog "Bulger" whose disposition was far
from pleasant. I am sure that the boys of the
neighborhood were partly to blame, for it was their
delight to run by, pulling a stick along the picket fence,
just to hear "Bulger" growl and snarl. The Call home is
now replaced by other dwellings.


As I seem to be zigzagging back and forth across the
street, I will cross again and climb Whitworth hill on the
west side. At the top stood a long frame building used as
a tin shop and owned by Mr. Wonderly. We used to go
in and ask for trimmings of tin to make rings and
bracelets. The older girls, my sister among them, would
cover pieces of tin with paper and roll their bangs on
them. One day my father brought home from Mr.
Wonderly's store three bananas, the first that any of us
had ever seen. I think they were green and I am sure that
none of us liked them. He told us of the big bunch
hanging out in front of the tin shop and insisted that we
go to see it. It was a strange place to be selling bananas I
must admit, but the man had the right idea in helping to
educate the community. Following the display of the
first bunch of bananas, others were brought to town
occasionally, but it was years later, when "Banana John"
made his regular trips to Ironton, that the fruit became
popular. The old tin shop which housed the first bananas
burned some years ago and is now replaced by a brick
store building.
East of the tin shop and across a vacant lot stood the
flour mill. It was a huge frame structure built by some of
the Russell family about eighty years ago. It remained
one of the oldest landmarks and was torn down only last
autumn (1933). When looking toward the mill one often
saw Mr. David Meyers, the miller, whose white hair was
a striking feature. As a child I thought that this very
white hair was caused by the flour. I played around the
mill with Mr. Meyers’ daughter and we frequently
slipped in to be weighed and we were just as often
"shooed" out because there was danger of our clothes
catching in the machinery.

Ironton Manufacturing Company, Iron County Historical

From the mill there was a short climb to reach the
Whitworth store, a large brick building used for general
merchandise. People came from miles around to trade
here and the old camp house back of the store was

always filled. The women traded while the men sat
around and talked. A short time ago I saw an old split
bottom chair used at that time. There were round knobs
on the top and the back half of each knob was worn off
and was quite smooth. The occupants had tilted the chair
back against the counter or wall and that constant
rubbing had worn away the back half of each knob. Mr.
I. G. Whitworth was a pioneer merchant of the valley.
He lived to be very old and was a familiar figure around
that corner. The building is still owned by members of
the Whitworth family and the business is run by a
grandson. (To be continued…)
Opposite: Whitworth’s Store located on the northeast
corner of Main and Russell Streets, now the site of First
State Community Bank. Iron County Historical Society.

In Memoriam, Remembering Bertha “Bert” LaPlante
By Carolyn, Sheehy

On August 14, 2015, Bertha “Bert” LaPlante, peacefully
passed away at her residence in Ironton, Missouri, after a
courageous fight with cancer. She was a life-long resident of
the Valley and was well known and loved by many people.
Her love of Arcadia Valley and desire to see it prosper
prompted her to open and operate for 12 years, Bert’s Corner, a
gift shop on Main Street in Ironton. She also worked in
community service groups, even sponsoring a float in the
Christmas Parade for several years.
Therefore, Bert was many things to many people but to the Iron County Historical Society, she was a
member who was content to work diligently behind the scenes to make things happen. Needless to say,
Bert’s hands and mind were never idle. Known for her listening ears; sharp business mind; and wise but
frank opinion, she became an excellent person to consult when advice was needed for a fundraiser;
researching or writing historical accounts; or preparation of solicitation letters for upcoming events.
In 2013, the Society published an account of the 100th Anniversary of Iron County. Bert offered to sell the
books at her shop, and record book sales resulted from this offer. She donated items for the silent auction
and organized a “Bert’s Corner” team for the Society’s Trivia Night in November 2014 even though her
health was not the best.
So, thank you, Bert, for all you did to make things happen. We miss you already.


From the
By John Abney

Illinois Watch Company 21 Jewel Railroad Pocket
If you take the time to listen, every item in our collection
has a story to tell. Such is the case with the Illinois
Watch Company 21 jewel railroad pocket watch located
in our railroad collection display case. The history of
railroad pocket watch begins with a disaster.

No.4. Unknown to both the conductor and engineer of
the westbound train, the engineer’s watch had stopped
for some four minutes before restarting again, lulling the
engineer into a false sense of security that made him
believe he had more time than he did to get his train
safely on to the siding. Approaching Kipton, the
engineer of the westbound No. 21 must have been
horrified upon seeing the No. 4 fast mail train
approaching him at full speed. The ensuing head-on
collision killed the engineers of both trains as well as six
postal clerks on the No. 4 mail train.

Illinois Watch
Railroad Watch

Kipton Train Wreck, Image Courtesy of the Smithsonian
National Postal Museum

Great Kipton Train Disaster
Kipton, Ohio is a small town located some 40 miles
southwest of Cleveland. On April 19, 1891 the fast mail
train, the No.4, was coming east on the Lake Shore &
Michigan Southern Railroad.
At Elyria, Ohio,
approximately 15 miles from Kipton, the engineer and
the conductor of the westbound Toledo Express, the No.
21, were given orders to let the No. 4 pass them at
As the investigation would later reveal, the conductor of
the No. 21 did not check his watch, thinking that the
engineer would be looking for the approaching No. 4.
From the time the train left Elyria until it collided with
the Fast Mail at Kipton, the conductor, as he admitted
afterward, did not take his watch out of his pocket. He
said that he supposed the engineer would look out for


The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad, as the
result of the accident, hired well known Cleveland
jeweler, Webb C. Ball, to investigate timekeeping issues
along its line. Ball’s investigation resulted in the
creation, in 1893, of a standardized set of watch
performance and inspection standards. Among these
new standards, railroad pocket watches had to be
accurate to within 30 seconds per week (4 seconds per
day), had to have at least a 15 jewel movement, have a
white face with black Arabic numbers and have
markings for each minute. The jewels used were rubies
and these jewel-bearings helped to cut down on friction
inside the watch allowing for smoother running and
more precise timekeeping. Eventually, the number of
jewels in a “fully jeweled watch” would increase to 23.
The watches also had to allow for adjustment so that
they would operate accurately under a wide range of

Ball’s inspection standards were just as exact as those
related to performance of the watch itself.

A typical Illinois Watch took anywhere from eight to
twelve months from the time work began on it until it
was ready to leave the factory. The company’s
railroad watches, among them the Sangamo, the
Sangamo Special, the Bunn, the Bunn Special and the
A. Lincoln, were guaranteed to be accurate within 30
seconds a week whether they were lying on their
backs or their faces, standing upright or upside down
and at temperatures from nearly freezing to almost
100 degrees Fahrenheit — one reason polar explorer
Roald Amundsen carried an Illinois watch on one of
his expeditions to the Arctic.

He also required that railroad engineers have their
watches inspected regularly, upon which they were
issued a certificate that guaranteed the watches’
reliability. If an engineer’s watch was faulty, he had
to pay for the repair himself, and while it was being
repaired, he borrowed a loaner watch from the
jeweler. Having an accurate watch was a requirement
for his job. It was vitally important for everyone’s
watch to show the correct time since most railroad
lines had only one track for trains traveling in both
directions. The Kipton disaster proved that even if an
engineer’s watch was off just a few minutes, the
result could be deadly. Ball’s promptness and
accuracy was the origin of today’s well-known
phrase, "On the ball."1

In about 1914, the company stopped producing
anything but high-quality watches, watches with a
minimum of 17 jeweled bearings. Of the 11 watch
models from several factories that passed an accuracy
test posed by the National Naval Observatory in
Washington, D.C., 10 were from the Illinois Watch
Factory. One historian of the firm noted that these
timepieces were as high-tech as computers are today
and indeed the Illinois Watch Company works
resembled today’s meticulously clean and well-lit
computer assembly plants.3

While the railroad pocket watch may have had no frills
with just a simple and plain look, the exacting
performance standards that they had to meet made them
very expensive. It could take a railroad worker up to
two years to pay off their watch. According to the 1900
U. S. Census the average worker in the United States
earned $449.80 at the turn of the 20th century, yet a
railroad pocket watch of that period could cost as much
as $50 to $100.2
Several companies made railroad pocket watches.
Among the more well known were the Ball Watch
Company (yes, this is the company owned by Webb C.
Ball), the Elgin Watch Company, the Hamilton Watch
Company, the Waltham Watch Company, and the
Illinois Watch Company.
The maker of our watch, the Illinois Watch Company,
was founded in 1869 in Springfield, Illinois. Originally
known as the Springfield Watch Company, the company
was reorganized as the Illinois Watch Company in 1873.
During the company’s most productive years from 1900
to 1928, the firm employed some 1,300 workers and
turned out nearly 800 watches per day at its factory
located in Springfield, IL.
“The Origin of the Railroad Watch,” Bowers Watch and
Clock Repair website (http:www.bowerswatchandclock
repair.com : accessed on 1 September 2015).

Lithograph of the Illinois Watch Company Factory

The Illinois Watch Company was sold to the
Hamilton Watch Company in 1928. Railroad
watches like ours are prized among collectors and
we are proud to have it in our railroad collection.

“Illinois Watch Company,” Sangamon Link: History of
Sangamon County, Illinois website
(http://sangamoncountyhistory.org/wp/?p=595 : accessed on
22 September 2015).





P. O. Box 183, Ironton, MO 63650
(order from above address)
Title / Author
A Celebration Worth Remembering Cookbook (Reprint of Centennial
Cookbook with additional materials and photographs)
CENTENNIAL: Ironton, Missouri, May 30 – June 2, 1957
Dorothy Reese: Ironton/Arcadia Valley’s Cheerleader, Historical, Civic
Leader, And Teacher: A Tribute, by Randall Cox
Early History of Arcadia Valley, by C. S. Russell, edited by Robert Pollock
History of the 33rd Regiment Illinois Veteran Volunteer Infantry in the
Civil War
In the Arcadia Valley
Iron County Family, Business, and Organization Stories: A Supplement
to Past and Present
Iron County, Missouri, Year By Year, by Clarence R. Keathley
John Albert Undertaking Business, 1878 – 1921
My Perfect Life, by Robert Pollock
Past and Present – A History of Iron County 1857 – 1994
Topical/biographical history of Iron County, Missouri
Perpetual Diary of Capt. P. Ake Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, Ironton,
MO (A Civil War Diary covering the year 1865)
Readin’, ‘Ritin’ and ‘Rithmetic, A History of Schools in Iron County,
MO., 1840 – 1981, by Clarence R. Keathley
Russell Cemetery Association
United States Post Offices in Iron County, Missouri, Then and Now,
by Clarence R. Keathley
W. J. Hinchey Diaries, Portrait of a community during the Civil War,
edited by John and Elizabeth Holloman
White Funeral Home Register, Caledonia, Missouri, 1907 – 1934
Witnesses to History – Stories from Park View Cemetery, by John Abney

Publication Details / Cost
Soft cover, coil bound.
192 pgs. $15.00 plus $4.00 S&H
Reprint, soft cover, comb bound. 58 pgs. $6.00
plus $2.50 S & H
Soft cover, comb bound. 19 pgs. $2.00 plus
$1.50 S & H
Soft cover, comb bound. 33 pgs. $5.00 plus
$2.50 S & H
Excerpts, 21 pgs. $3.00 plus $1.00 S & H
Reprint from Iron County Register Supp ;/1800s.
50 pgs $10.00 plus $2.50 S & H
Soft cover, comb bound, photos, 195 pgs. $20.00
plus $3.50 S & H
Soft cover, comb bound, maps, photos, Ca 1984.
16 pgs. $3.00 plus $1.50 S & H
Manuscript, indexed, comb bound. 76 pgs. $6.00
plus $2.50 S & H
Indexed. 147 pgs. $10.00 plus $3.50 S & H
Hard Bound, indexed. 434 pgs. $49.95 plus $4.50
media rate or $10 1st class priority S & H
7 pgs. $2.00 plus $1.00 S & H
Soft cover, photos, etc. Ca. 1981. 136 pgs. $8.00
each or 2/$10.00 plus $3.50 S & H
Soft cover, comb bound. 33 pgs. $5.00 plus
$2.00 S & H
Soft cover, photos, maps, Ca. 1984. 17 pgs. $3.00
plus $1.50 S & H
Soft cover, comb bound. 73 pgs. $10.00 plus
$2.50 S & H
Manuscript, comb bound, indexed. 34 pgs. $6.00
plus $2.50 S & H
Comb bound. 101 pgs. $10.00 plus $3.00 S & H

(Same address as above)
$10.00 per deck plus S/ H if mailed
Educational Civil War Playing Cards
$5.00 per deck plus S /H if mailed
Explore Missouri Playing Cards


Iron County 160 Years:
A Pictorial History (1857 – 2017)
Presented by the Iron County Historical Society

Your invitation to be part of this historical event
In February 2017, Iron County will celebrate the 160th anniversary of its founding. To mark this occasion,
we’re putting together a pictorial history of Iron County’s first 160 years. The book will include up to 1,100
B&W photographs documenting the county’s communities, families, churches, schools, businesses,
industries, farms, organizations and so much more.
Work hasn’t officially started just yet, but now’s the time to start looking through those albums, shoe boxes,
etc., and see what photographs you might have that you will want to share. Don’t send them in just yet. An
article will appear in the next newsletter with all the details of the project.
Also, we’re still looking for volunteers to assist with the project. We will need help with design, photograph
selection, proof-reading, research, the sale of special pages related to businesses, organizations / clubs,
churches, schools, as well as personal memorials / tributes, and everything else related to the book’s
publication. You don’t have to live locally to lend a hand.
If you want to be part of this historic project, contact John Abney at [email protected] or give him a
call at (573) 915-5446.

Iron County Historical Society
Membership Application

New_____ Renewal____

Name______________________ Spouse____________________
Address________________________ County_______________
City____________________ State_____ Zip Code____________


Signature____________________ Received by_______________
Please complete form and return with membership dues of $10.00 to: Iron County Historical
Society, P.O. Box 183, Ironton, MO 63650. For information please call (573) 546-3513

Sponsor Documents

Or use your account on DocShare.tips


Forgot your password?

Or register your new account on DocShare.tips


Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link to create a new password.

Back to log-in