Healthy computer workstations : These are the following areas where we have to take care to prevent the work related musculoskeletal disorders while computing.
1.Neutral body positioning.- This can be defined as a comfortable working posture with a natural alignment of all your joints from head to toes. Hands, wrists and forearms should be in a row, straight and parallel to the floor. Head and toso should be in a line. Shoulderss are at ease and upper arms are hanging normally at the sides of your body. Elbows should be closer to the body and bent between 90 and 110 degrees. Feet should be either supportd by a foot rest or relaxing on the floor. Seat should be well padded in order to support your hips and thighs. Hips and knees should be at almost same height.
2. Monitors: Factors to be considered while using monitors: -Viewing distance – Ensure that monitor is infront of you and atleast 20 inches away . -Viewing angle - comfortable viewing angle is 15 to 20 degrees. -Viewing time - Take breaks in between and attend to non computer works. -Viewing clarity – You can tilt the monitor somewhere between 10 to 20 degrees so that it is perpendicular to your line of sight. 3. Key boards: -Keyboard placement – Height
Good keyboard trays with adjustable height and tilt giving enough space for leg and foot along with adequate space for other input devices like keyboard and pointer/mouse are available in the market if you find it difficult to adjust your work surface or your chair.
- Keyboard placement -Distance Ensure that the keyboard is placed directly in front of you at a distance that keeps your elbows close to your body with the forearms approximately parallel with the floor.
4. Mouse or pointer:
1.Ensure that the pointer/mouse is close to the keyboard.
2.Learn and use the keyboard short cuts to reduce extended use.
5.Desks Desk or work surface area.
1. Ensure that the desk area is deep enough to accommodate a monitor placed at least 20 inches away from your eyes. 2. It is recommended that the desk should have a work surface large enough to accommodate a monitor and a keyboard. Normally, a desk with a depth of about 30 inches is used to accommodate these items.
3. The height of the desk should be adjustable between 20 inches and 28 inches while the user is in sitting position.
4. Ensure that the user has sufficient space to place the frequently used items like keyboard, mouse, and monitor directly in front of you.
1 5.Your desk should provide enough space underneath for your legs while sitting in all convenient positions. The minimum under-desk clearance depth should be 15 inches for your knees and 24 inches for your feet. There should be at least 20 inches clearance width.
5.Chairs. Ensure that the backrest of your chair corresponds to the natural curvature of your spine providing enough support to the lumbar region. - Ensure that the seats of your chair are comfortable enough to allow your feet to rest flat on the floor or footrest. - Ensure that the armrests of your chair are soft allowing your shoulders to relax and elbows to stay close to your body. - Ensure that your chair has a five-leg base with rollers that allow it to move easily on the floor.