Paying for a Care Home

Published on February 2017 | Categories: Documents | Downloads: 44 | Comments: 0 | Views: 225
of 4
Download PDF   Embed   Report



The cost of a care home differs for everybody. It depends on the type of care you require and your capital. England
Upper limit: £23,250 Lower limit: £14,250

Upper limit: £24,750 Lower limit: £15,250
In the UK, it’s up to the Local Authority to determine how much of your care home costs you can afford to pay. They calculate this based on your total capital and – in some cases – on what they determine to be your ‘weekly income’. If your total capital (i.e. the value of your solely-owned properties, savings and investments) falls between the upper and lower limits shown on the left side of this page (excluding Wales, which only has an upper limit), then that figure is used to determine your ‘weekly income’. For every £250 of capital you have, you’re given a weekly income of £1. It is this ‘income’ calculation that the Local Authority uses to determine how much financial assistance you’re entitled to. If your capital falls below the lower limit, then your capital won’t factor into your fee assessment. If it falls above the upper limit, you’ll be required to pay your care home fees in full. If your weekly income adds up to more than your weekly care home costs (plus an additional expenses figure, £23.50 in Scotland/England, £24.00 in Wales), then you’re required to pay for your care yourself.

Upper limit: £22,000 Lower limit: £22,000

Image via Loretta Prescott via Pinterest

When you move into a care home, you should still receive the state benefits you’re entitled to. In fact, it’s important to claim all the benefits you qualify for, as this is calculated into the Local Authority’s assessment of your finances. Here are some of the most common benefits care home residents receive:

• • • •

State Pension Disability Living Allowance Attendance Allowance Income Support/Pension Credit

In addition to care homes, there’s also the option to receive in-home care. If you have a full-time carer – perhaps a friend or family member – you can look into temporary care home stays or respite care options for when your fulltime carer is on holiday.

While the way in which care home cost assistance is calculated is set in stone, you still have the power to ensure you’re getting the proper funding you are entitled to. Here are some ways you can make sure you’re getting the financial help you need: • Assess your care needs- if necessary, work with your GP and the Local Authority to get an official assessment of your financial needs

It’s also worthwhile for your carer to look into Carer’s Allowance.

Update your Local Authority when your financial needs change
Double-check that you are receiving all of the benefits (i.e. the ones listed in the section above) you’re entitled to Source: ,

Image via Heather Green via Pinterest

Sponsor Documents

Or use your account on


Forgot your password?

Or register your new account on


Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link to create a new password.

Back to log-in